Wednesday, May 10, 2006

What Will I Do Without Her # 3

My mom called me to say that she quit her job, understandably so since she hates her job and has far reached the age of retirement. Go for it, enjoy life, paint, practice yoga, I'm totally supportive of the idea I told her, until she announced, out of the blue -as always- that she was moving to ... Paris, the city where I live now. What the ....!!! Silent panic attack on the phone. My face yelling of hysteria but my voice remained mute. A breathless silence... "Where are you going to stay, well... live?" I broke the silence, finally. "Guess where?" she says, "with you!" (What? with me, in my small one-bedroom apartment? 24/7?!! ) She carries on: "Oh wouldn't that be great, I will cook for you, I will iron your shirts (Mother, I pay a housekeeper for that), oh well, it's all temporary, 3 months until my Parisian apartment is refurbished." (What did I do to deserve this??)

I know I've only got one mother, don't get me wrong, I love her but I love myself more and cherish my own privacy. With her, I have no personal life. It's a complete devotion to Mother Icon from morning to night. She continues talking: "Well, I guess you won't be able to invite your friends over at your place for 3 months but you'll see, it will pass so quickly." (No mother, 3 months with you means a non-stop continued presence of yours for a quarter of a year. By the time you finally move out of my apartment, the leaves of the trees will turn red.)

No, I am not a disgraceful daughter. Seriously, will you be able to live with your mother for 3 months in a one-bedroom apartment after having enjoyed life as a single person for the past 15 years? I need a strong coffee to deliver myself from this nightmare. No, a strong drink.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home