Sunday, April 02, 2006

Regular, Skim 2%, Half and Half or Cream?

I didn’t know until I moved to NYC that cows produced different kinds of milk (e.g., whole, skim, 2%, half and half, cream), like coca-cola which comes in various flavors (e.g., Diet Coke, Cherry Coke, Caffeine-Free Coke, Vanilla Coke, and the latest breed, Coffee Coke.) By the way, why would people buy Coffee Coke? If soda consumers want a triple shot of caffeine in their veins, why don’t they drink Red Bull?

I don’t like skim milk in my coffee. Tastes like coffee diluted with lukewarm water. Remember? I transited via a European country where coffee is as bitter as bad cough medicine… Natives in this European country which confuse coffee with bad cough medicine call regular American coffee as “jus de chaussette.” Could literally be depicted as tainted water dripping from a dirty wet sock. The imagery is so not mouth-watering that I would almost lose my thirst. Anyway, I was saying that I don’t like skim milk in my coffee. If I wanted to have lukewarm water, I wouldn’t waste my dollar bill at the corner deli. I can just open the faucet for free. I want to make my dollar worth its value. That’s why I order coffee with half and half or cream. But here’s my constant nightmare each time I see the deli guy generously pouring a waterfall of cream.

According to the Nutrition Facts found on
Calorie-Count, a one size order of coffee with regular milk translates into 25 calories with 9 calories from fat. Should you replace regular milk by cream, you add on 35 Calories, with additional 64 calories from fat. No wonder why my daily coffee break at the corner deli on Amsterdam and 116th contributed to the exponential swelling of my Asian body by 20 pounds in no less than 8 months… Thank God, I don’t like sugar in my coffee…

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home